Friday, August 13, 2010

Visiting Family

We here at the Gerken's have been busy the last few weeks, so we apologize for the length between posts. We've been harassed enough so finally we're updating. Today is mine and mom's last summer Friday off. Starting Monday we're back to the regular schedule, which means shorter work days, but no Friday off. It'll take some adjusting for both of us.

A couple of weeks ago Mom, Dad, and I drove to Wheeling to check on how Gigi was doing after her knee replacement. She's in a rehab hospital for a few weeks and I figured she must be getting lonely and I knew I could cheer her up. I challenged her to a walking race, but she declined. (I think she was secretly afraid of losing). Grandma is still in a cast from her foot surgery too, so we had two people in wheelchairs. Luckily, Grandpa had me there to help out. I don't know what he would have done without me :)

Here we all are having a pizza party in a common area of the rehab hospital. It was a lot of fun, because in addition to seeing Gigi there were lots of other people who I needed to check up on. I was one busy lady.
Me and my Gigi.
This woman was so excited to see me, I went back and talked to her several times. Then I made my rounds in the hallway, everyone wanted to wave and talk to me, the residents and the staff. One employee even said I was the visitor of the day. I got to walking away from mom at one point and went into a room. The women inside were so excited to see me, they even put someone on hold on the phone to talk to me. I told you I was busy and popular.
All that socializing is hard, sometimes you have to take a break, get a beverage and play some cards. I was a big help to Uncle Brett.
My work was never done, once we got back to Grandma and Grandpa's house I had to take care of Grandma. She and I shared cheerios and chatted.
The next weekend the Schahls were in town visiting so Mom and I headed to Dixon for a day to visit. Dad was having a guy's weekend away so we thought it was perfect timing. Carly and I love the new bikes Grandma and Bakka got for us. If you look closely you can tell I'm making the vroom, vroom noise.
Who said a girl wearing a dress can't ride a bike? They never met me. I look tough.
Carly was loving chalk time on the front porch.
Mommy and Aunt Kim love Gram and Bakka's front porch and swing. They wish they had one at their houses. Molly and I didn't mind either. We spent a lot of the day outside and on the porch. It's a great people watching spot (and if I get nothing else from my Mom, I got her fascination with people watching).
Emily wasn't feeling well so we didn't gt to see her much, but we did walk up the street to say hi to her on her front porch. You can't tell she doesn't feel well by the look on her face.
Sunday after getting back from our visit to Dixon, Mommy and I headed to Brookfield Zoo to meet Mommy's friend Sara. We are members of the zoo and I've only been once before. I was much younger so I slept through most of the trip. I'm sunscreened up, have juice and goldfish, let's hit the zoo.
We were there early so it was feeding time and we got to see lots of animals.
Sara was showing me the wolves. Most of the zoo trip I was more interested in all the people and not the animals. I am also very friendly so I spent most of the trip sitting in the wagon waving and smiling at people. I'm sure I brightened their day.
I had to get out of the wagon once and awhile to stretch my legs.
They were calling for hot, humid, ickiness, but it began to rain and it was cold rain. Mommy, Sara and I were very cold and they both decided it wasn't good for me to stay cold, so I lucked out. I got a brand new Brookfield Zoo sweatshirt. Here I am modeling it trying to warm up.
In other news, Mom went to a couponing workshop a couple of weeks ago and has taken her ability to save money while shopping to a whole new level. I am in favor of this because it can only mean more money for things for me, right? This was her first shopping outing using the new coupon tips she learned. She got all of this (vitamins, kotex liners, crayons, 2- toothpaste, 2-mouthwash, venus razor, contact solution, calculator, glide floss) for $6.42.

Well that's our update....oh and we'll finish it off with a cute video of...well what else...ME!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Love the pictures. Keep them coming. Gramma loves you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I better get our blog updated :)

    ReplyDelete